Friday, September 4, 2009

And Then There Were Two

My house is cleaner. I've been going to bed earlier. I'm watching less television and reading more. There is more food in my fridge and pantry. My laundry loads are noticeably smaller.

And I don't like it one bit.

Last Wednesday, Miss L moved into the dorms, leaving me with just two critters at home instead of the comfy chaos of three offspring that feels like a family. And even though getting more sleep at night is great, I admit I miss the late-night laugh fests of "30 Rock" and sob-sagas of "House," coupled with detailed reviews of each day's activities.

Not to mention the obvious: I'M NOW THE ONLY FEMALE IN A HOUSE FULL OF BOYS.
Still, watching her settle into her 10x10 corner of independence, bedecked with all things green and butterflied, was pretty cool. She's already auditioned for a play. Prepared dinners, made friends, worked in her university job. Trekked across campus without getting lost, and even admitted that her Book of Mormon professor is cool.

So she's moved out of my house and into her life. But it's a great life and she's one smart cookie. I feel pretty lucky to be her mom.

And she still plans to come home for the long Labor Day weekend.

And I like that a lot.

1 comment:

  1. What would a dorm room be without a bear, a butterfly, and a darling freshman! Change is inevitable, but it doesn't mean we have to like it!!

    ReplyDelete