Thursday, September 3, 2009

Take My Fridge... Please!

Last week, we finished a nearly yearlong kitchen remodel. The floors are now a walnutty chocolate, the granite is mesmerizing, and the new cream cabinets are cheery... and don't match the WHITE appliances at all. So, we're finishing with a big budget bang of all four new appliances in stainless steel (fridge, dishwasher, micro and stove).
The big truck full of workers ready to install the gismos will arrive on Labor Day--yah, ironic, I know--so everything must go! Drastically reduced prices! Fabulous bargains! Selling to the bare walls!

To move the items, I turned to my favorite addiction in the world: KSL classifieds. This little gem is like a giant garbage disposal that spits out money whenever you feed it your unwanted chud. Even better, it is almost instant gratification: today, I actually SOLD my fridge within TWO MINUTES of posting it online... and my dishwasher didn't even get posted before it sold. Someone calling on another appliance bought the washer even before I had a chance to hit the "submit" button.

It's like a garage sale without the peering neighbors, awkward sifting, or dispirited haul to DI after the fact. I'm in de-clutter heaven!

I've also learned that my price-to-value-o-meter is irreparably broken. Because I'm inherently unsentimental, I tend to underprice my junk to avoid the disappointment of it languishing unsold. Instead, people are shocked when they call. Giddy when they buy. Joyous when they find out that the price I'm asking is for something that actually WORKS. I'm like some sort of Second-Hand Santa, ho ho ho-ing my way to thrift store nirvana.


So now: what else can I sell? Hmm. Kids, time to lock up your closets!

3 comments:

  1. What can I say? Ummm. Your new cabinets will love stainless steel. Your granite will love stainless steel. Your floor.... etc, etc. YOU will love new appliances. Glad you bit the bullet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! My closet CAN lock!

    Bye bye, fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm, before you hit the submit button on anything you decide to sell, would you mind e-mailing me first? -Signed, one of those "peering neighbors."

    ReplyDelete