Thursday, September 10, 2009

What's better than a poke in the eye?

I was awakened in the pre-dawn hours today by a repeated poking in my eye. My EYE.

When I clambered out from unconsciousness, there was my son T blinking at me in the darkness. "Oh, good, mom. You're awake," he said.

"Yup." It was all I could muster. I had been repeatedly poked in the eye, after all.

"I'm having a scary dream and the new fridge is making loud noises and Eragon is staring at me and my bed is too hot and... can I sleep by you?" He was already halfway into the bed before he finished his explanation.

As for me, I was so happy I couldn't drift back to sleep.

See, I've been kind of dreading September 10. It's T's birthday today and he's 7. SEVEN! He's already marching off to first grade with a purpose that is borderline militaristic. He takes piano lessons. Pours his own milk. Buckles his seat belt without ever being asked. Takes his shoes off when entering a friend's house. Knows his address and phone number. Can program the Tivo and various other gadgets that completely mystify me.
Some days, I feel like if I blink he'll be off for good, my baby driving into the world. It will happen, I know, and each birthday draws us nearer to that inevitable fork in the road. But this morning, there were no forks. There was just a little spoon in my bed, trembly and worried about the noisy fridge and the staring lizard.

And I still had the power to make everything all better.

Happy, happy birthday to both of us.

4 comments:

  1. NOTHING is better than a poke in the eye. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute blog or should I say cute entry! When I read your entries it just reaffirms to me how I truly am the "stupid Hansen" Oh well, there has to be one in every family. I still love you though, even if you are smarter than me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhhh, gee. I'm wiping away the tears right now. What a cute entry!!! Trey really is growing up so much lately. Shoot he's cute! I FOUND you!!!!! Totally awesome blog. Love it (even if I need a dictionary to read it :) You are so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet! Love those tender mercy moments (even when they come with a poke in the eye).

    ReplyDelete